Tuesday, February 27, 2007




Assignments through March 31 have been submitted to the Webmaster for publication.

Bear in mind that we have a number of unassigned referees for most of these weekends. Do not be discouraged if you do not see your name there. Several things can happen:

- Games are added
- Referees become unavailable – the frailties of the flesh
- Exchange opportunities materialize for out-going refs
- High school matches are not listed. We will assign available refs to HS matches as we are able
- If all else fails, you will be greatly appreciated as a touch judge. With playoffs approaching,
polishing up your TJ resumé will open up some excellent opportunities for you. Pick a good game
and ask the ref if you can run the line


The Champagne Classic will be held in San Diego March 10-11. We have been asked to send two referees.

Lois Bukowski will be one. We have had a cancellation, so one spot is open.

We have the flexibility to cover your already-assigned match for March 10. Please respond if you’d like to referee some of the best women’s club and college sides in the USA!


There will be a Society dinner at the Pyramid Alehouse in Berkeley on Saturday, March 17. Make plans now to attend and let David Williamson know how many will be in your party:


Drinks and appetizers will begin at 6:30, buffet dinner at 7:30; Society members pay $25 each, with the Society covering the balance.

Our guests will be:

Victoria: Colin Dyer and Dave Valentine
Eastern Rockies: Larry Johnson
Virginia: Simon Smith
Potomac: Rich Kempton (assessor)


Bjorn Stumer will be ordering more of the new Society jerseys, both the gold and the navy blue versions.

Bear in mind that you need to order up, size-wise. People are finding that the size that normally fits them is one to three sizes too small.

Probably best to add two sizes to what shirt fits you off the rack. If the one you get is too big or too small, you aren’t stuck with it: we’re doing some horse-trading, get you another, and someone else will have your original order.

Let Bjorn know:

Color – size you want – how many.



Peter Watson visited Northern California this past weekend to help us out with referee coaching and evaluating. Coming from Boston, where the snow was falling, he did not complain about the ‘cold snap’ that had locals commenting.

Peter was met by his old friend Bruce Carter at SFO Friday morning. After the ‘traditional’ Friday visitor’s lunch at The Stinking Rose in North Beach, they toured Telegraph Hill, Coit Tower, Fort Point, and the 800-foot elevation overlook in the Marin Headlands that faces back over the Golden Gate Bridge to San Francisco, certainly the most photogenic city in the world.

After that it was down to business: from Dixon Smith’s house the three drove up to Santa Rosa together to watch Matt Eshoo referee Elsie Allen against Montgomery.

Then they met with Mike Gadoua for dinner at Moylan’s in Novato, an Irish pub with a very eclectic menu.

Peter faded away gradually while talking with Dixon and Christine, excusing himself due to the East-West time differential for some well-deserved rest.

Saturday morning Peter spotted a coyote just beyond Dixon’s back fence, not something they see in New England neighborhoods apparently. After breakfast Setanta was nice enough to show the Ireland – England Six Nations match live on the computer.

Peter and Bruce then took to the road again, destination Treasure Island, but with a detour to see Witter Field.

Jerry Figone was on hand and was kind enough to show them around. Peter had been to the Bay Area a number of times but had never seen either Witter or Rocca Field.

As they arrived at the Golden Gate clubhouse, Rod Chance had just finished refereeing the girls high school match, Berkeley versus Mother Lode. Players were beginning to get ready for the SFGG U-23 – San Jose State game, to be refereed by Don Pattalock.

Peter was nice enough to offer to do a coaching report on Don. This was immediately before the SFGG – OMBAC super league preseason game, with Peter doing a level two evaluation on Tony Latu.

Afterwards, Tony brought Peter to the Hayward Eden Park pitch from whence Dixon him to his sister’s house in Woodside.

Peter then did another level two evaluation on Joe Androvich Sunday on the Stanford – UC Davis game and then flew home.

That’s two level 2s and two coaching reports in less than 48 hours – truly value for our exchange dollar!

We trust that our referees are aware that coaching reports and written evaluations are legal tender in the promotions market, as well as pamphlets for improving. A chance to be watched is a chance to show that you deserve more competitive assignments.

Thank you to Peter and the New England Rugby Referee Society for being such good exchange partners.


Saturday, February 17:

Seconds: San Mateo 21 – SF/GOLDEN GATE 31 Referee: John Coppinger
On the field turf at San Mateo High, ill discipline cost San Mateo as SF/GG scored 4 penalty goals in the first half to take a 24-7 halftime lead. Shortly after the second half k/o, SF/GG lost a prop after he smacked heads with his flyhalf leaving both players with blood streaming. At that point, each side played on for while with uncontested scrums and 13 players a side until I decided it was too dark to continue and blew it up w/ 20 minutes to go.

Wednesday, February 21:

At Cal’s Witter Field:
CALIFORNIA 32 – Univ. of British Columbia 17 Referee: Paul Bretz
Touch Judge: Pete Smith, Joe Androvich

At Treasure Island’s Rocca Field:
California women 0 – UNIV. OF BRITISH COLUMBIA 46 Referee: Bryant Byrnes
Touch Judge: Paul Berman

Blistery TI (but not cold if you were from Canada). Our northern friends deftly, adroitly, relentlessly moved the ball around- better than the Cal Bears. They also supported well and curiously used a lot of squeeze ball, mostly correctly. However, Cal gave a good effort-they tackled hard for 80 minutes and never quit.

Thanks to Paul Berman for TJing and wise words.

Saturday, February 24:

Super League Preseason Match:
SF/GOLDEN GATE 23 (4) – Old Mission Beach AC 21 (3) Referee: Tony Latu
Touch Judges: Giles Wilson and Bjorn Stumer
Assessor: Peter Watson

Two weeks ago I found out that I have been assigned to ref. a s-league pre-season game. Our reigning champions, the San Diego OMBAC and our NorCal best, San Fran Golden Gate (SFGG). I was excited, nervous and looking forward for this game. But when Saturday morning arrived, it was just another rugby day. I dragged my 10 yr-old son, Tomasi with me. Not only to watch game, but also enjoy the day at TI.

If this was a pre-season game, then I can't wait to see these teams meet again. It was everything but preseason. A very Fast and Furious game. There were no special moments, every moment was special. The long break away, long kick, pick and drive, well coached and well executed by both teams.

But at the end one team rose to the occasion, and this time it was the SFGG. But remember, OMBAC is still the team to beat.

Thanks to Giles and Bjorn for running touch and to Peter for taking his time to fly from the East Coast to watch my game.

OLYMPIC CLUB 34 – San Mateo 20 Referee: Bruce Carter
Touch Judges: Jim Crenshaw, Isaac Caselis
Evaluator: Dixon Smith
Interested Observer Listening in on the Radio: Bryan Porter

I was totally jacked to be refereeing first versus second in the NorCal men’s D1. Having done my first such 1 v. 2 match in the spring of 1989, at the end of my first season of refereeing, I can say that the butterflies are still as many and still as active.

Due to the weather, the game was laid on for 3 PM at Hayward’s home pitch. A late start ensued due to an U-14 game between Hayward and Lamorinda, refereed by Isaac Caselis.

Interesting start: San Mateo’s kick did not go ten meters. Olympic won the scrum, ran a switch move and scored a converted try not one minute into the match.

And then, when the first half ended with a San Mateo player earning a red card and his team down 15 – 3, it might have looked like a long way back.

But this high-speed, high-intensity game continued with O Club’s first half tackle-related penalties coming home to roost. One player went to the bin for his third different infraction (not rolling away, playing the ball from the ground, not allowing the release), and another for the team’s fourth holding on when isolated. These overlapped by seven minutes, during which time Albert Tuipulotu started making inroads and San Mateo started making big ground.

They deficit was reduced to seven points and stayed there most of the second half, with everything seeming to ride on every possession. But it was the Olympic Club who scored the last try to put the game away.

Seconds: Olympic Club 40 (6) – SAN MATEO 51 (9) Referee: Mike Gadoua
O Club started well, but once San Mateo settled down, they started performing.

SEAHAWKS (4) 25 – Diablo Gaels (4) 24 Referee: Mike Gadoua
This was a squeaker, the deciding point being a James Hinkin penalty kick versus a conversion.

Seconds: Seahawks 5 – Diablo Gaels 31 (5) Referee: James Hinkin
The rain was timed perfectly by the Rugby Gods as the weather held at San Jose’s Watson Bowl until some sprinkles appeared at the end of the B side match.

Both sides turned up to play in an exciting contrast of styles and strengths. San Jose appeared to have the edge in the forwards – being especially dominant in the scrums – but lacked finishing in the back line.

Diablo seemed overwhelmed at times in the forwards but their back line – featuring Eagle legend Vaea Anitoni – were able to convert the ball they had into points.

The first half saw San Jose controlling territory and possession but they were unable to score. 2 tries (one converted) by Diablo saw them to a 12-0 halftime lead.

The second half saw more of the same as breakaways from distance saw the fleet Gaels outpace and outmaneuver the Seahawk defense. San Jose had plenty of chances but were always let down by an errant pass or a knock on.

The second try of the half for Diablo actually came from the restart of the first try as poor tackling and a lack of defensive discipline from San Jose allowed Diablo to take the kickoff all the way back to where it came from.

A third second half try sealed the match as the Diablo #10 swerved his way for 50 meters with Vaea Anitoni at his side shouting for the ball and then shouting encouragement as all tackle attempts missed.

San Jose was finally able to use its forward dominance to generate a try from a lineout and maul as captain, warrior and #8 Mike Wynyard was able to stretch out and dot down for the score. Final score: San Jose Seahawk B – 5, Diablo B – 31.

HAYWARD 34 (6) – Sacramento Lions 24 (4) Referee: Jim Crenshaw
Touch Judges: Eric Rauscher, Bruce Carter
Assessor: Bryan Porter
Saturday night brought a blustery cold night in Hayward for the Hayward Griffins Sacramento Lions matchup. The game started a little after the advertised 5pm start, as it was a little after 6:30 when we finally got going.

The Lions mounted a ferocious attack right off the kick off, resulting in a knock on by the Griffins about half a meter from their own goal line. The Griffins stole the hook and managed a clearing kick to touch to get them out of trouble. It was a portent of the evening for both teams, the Lions having at least a couple of long breakaways, only to either knock or be caught before they could score and the Griffins taking advantage of the Lions hard luck. The Griffins scored 2 unconverted tries and one converted try to take a 17 to 0 lead at halftime.

The Lions offense got it together in the second half, but the Griffins offense was also clicking as first the Lions scored and then the Griffins scored, back and forth throughout the half. The Lions scored 4 tries (2 converted) and the Griffins scored 3 tries (1 converted).

Seconds: Hayward – Sacramento Lions
Not played. It was after 8 PM when the first side match finished.

Sacramento – Fresno Referee: Joe Androvich
Evaluator: Matt Eason
No report received.

Seconds: Sacramento – Fresno Referee: Colin Wallace
Peer Coach: Ray Schwartz
No report received.

SANTA ROSA 24 (4) – Baracus 12 (2) Referee: Sandy Robertson
It was a very competitive run in the rain. Both teams spent some time kicking for territory, but they both also spun the ball, rucked and mauled with abandon.

Seconds: Santa Rosa – Baracus
No referee assigned

SF/GOLDEN GATE U-23, 49 (9) – San Jose State 12 (2) Referee: Don Pattalock
Touch Judges: Bjorn Stumer, I. Birchall
Referee coach: Peter Watson

With the breeze blowing on TI from the bay, these two energetic teams were intent on playing a wide-open game of rugby. With neither team contesting the rucks, play moved quickly from phase to phase (sometimes too quickly for the offside defenders). SFGG exhibited better execution, skills and fitness on the day.

I will pose the question AGAIN: Why are these kids not in the league?

Mendocino – Vacaville Referee: Dave Buckey
No report received.

CHICO 20 (3) – Humboldt 10 (1) Referee: Sam Reagle
Weather: 45 degrees, rain, mud

Humboldt arrived around noon after their long drive from the redwoods into a steady mist of rain that was only cold when you stood around. After completing the pregame rituals they were ready to play so we kicked off a few minutes early. We soon forgot about the conditions and a very good rugby game took place. Sure, there were a few dropped passes, but most went backward so there were long sequences of non-stop exciting rugby for these two well-coached teams.

Chico scored first with an unconverted try only 4 minutes into the game. The remainder of the half was full of wide-open, multi-phase rugby with the conditions favoring the defenses until Humboldt scored a converted try and then added a penalty kick just before halftime to end the half up 10-5.

The defending division III champions showed their fitness in the second half of the second half after Humboldt appeared to tire scoring 2 tries and a penalty kick to finish the game at 20-10.

This was a wonderful game to referee. No foul play and players who actually apologized after being called for testing the referee’s knowledge of the Law. Chico were gracious hosts at The End Zone afterward.

Reno – Redding Referee: Dylan Gill
No report received.

APTOS 14 (1) – Stanislaus 10 (2) Referee: John Pohlman
My second game of the day was at California State University-Monterey Bay. Aptos was hosting Stanislaus. The temperature had warmed up to the 60's.

I arrived around 12:15. Both teams were kitting up. The field was well marked except no line in goal and no posts. The soccer goal would need to work.

This was a game between two well matched teams. Stanislaus has some big forwards and wanted to maul all day. Aptos preferred rucks and working the ball in the backs. I knew I would have a challenge at the tackle. Both teams try and slow the ball down defensively.

Two minutes in Stanislaus tried killing the ball and I awarded my first penalty. Aptos made the kick. At six minutes a Stanislaus flanker played the ball while on the ground. Aptos made the kick. At fourteen minutes Stanislaus killed another Aptos ball. A formal warning and Aptos made the kick. Aptos 9-Stanislaus 0.

Stanislaus got the message and listened to direction which really helped their penalty count.

Stanislaus Captain and #10 Brian Lynn scored on a nice run. Aptos 9, Stanislaus 5. Stanislaus big center Brandon Yost broke a couple of tackles for another try at 16 minutes. Aptos 9, Stanislaus 10.

The rest of the first half saw some strong tackling. Both teams had opportunities but needed one more good pass to finish.

Second half started with some good drives for Aptos. Ten minutes in Aptos had scrum middle field about 30 meters out. The Stanislaus front row chatted a bit too much. I gave the penalty and newly substituted hooker Mark Horobin took the tap, broke a number of tackles and scored in the corner. Aptos 14, Stanislaus 10.

Stanislaus forwards won a couple of scrums against the head and the game seemed to change momentum. Stanislaus forwards were mauling the ball down the field with good results. At 24 minutes an Aptos flanker drove in from the side and killed a Stanislaus drive. It was time for a yellow card. Stanislaus could not take advantage of the extra forward due to some strong Aptos tackling.

At 36 minutes an Aptos player came off-side to kill a Stanislaus play. The second yellow.

Stanislaus had all the possession and opportunity the rest of the game but could not score. Final Aptos 14 Stanislaus 10.

PETALUMA LEGHORNS 10 (1) – Fog 3 Referee: Scott Wood
Location: Kenilworth Park
Weather: Global warming gave way to global wetting
Pitch conditions: High grass (no, not that kind), low grass, some places without mud, more with

This is a different Fog team than I refereed several years ago. Intense, aggressive attacks and unrelenting defensive efforts kept Petaluma in its territory for much of the first half. Nonetheless, this was an atypical D3 industrial-grade match featuring players failing to roll away at tackles and unwilling to release the ball. The Fog scored first with an early penalty goal. Near the end of the half, each team donated a player to the sin bin for play patty-cake instead of Rugby. The Fog entered halftime leading 3-0.

Petaluma must have eaten their Wheaties during halftime as they were more disciplined at the breakdowns but the Fog did not give up as they fought well and tackled hard. At the 65th minute, Petaluma converted a penalty try as Fog suffered from its players repeatedly failing to properly retreat. Five minutes later, Petaluma scored a penalty goal to extend its meager margin to 10-3. A last-minute attack by the Leghorns was well defended as the Fog forced a knock-on to finish the match.

BERKLEY 6 – Marin 0 Referee: Giles Wilson
Job Corps field, Treasure Island

Playing on a very short field with wide, low goal posts would suggest scoring but after a 2 week layoff for both sides the first 30 minutes was spent managing several injuries to both teams. Berkeley had elected to play into the wind and ended upturning around tied at 0-0. Both teams took a couple of shots at goal but there were few other threats of scores.

Marin were able to disrupt the Berkeley scrum in key situations; the loss of Comstock changed the balance later in the game with Berkeley able to apply some pressure of their own. Lineouts were scrappy with both sides mis-understanding the value of the gap to their own throw – a healthy wind didn’t help either.

In the second half Berkeley scored an early penalty; this was followed by a near miss from Marin before Berkeley closed the scoring with a second penalty – final 6 – 0 with no tries scored.

Mission – Santa Clara
No referee assigned

ST. MARY’S 62 – Chico State 24 Referee: Paul Bretz
The Saint Mary's Gaels hosted Chico State and showed that they are one of two teams to beat in Nor Cal Division 1. The score of 62-24 does not reflect the fact that Gaels had to earn every try.

Chico contested the tackle zone at every opportunity and stole a number of possessions at tackle. Unfortunately for Chico the visitors could not consistently turn poached ball into points. Additionally the Gales took advantage of poor lineout technique and stole at least 5 of the Wildcats’ throw-ins.

As a side note Northern California can boast of another fantastic playing field. Thankfully there is no more "Moraga Mud" to worry about. The newly turfed field is fast, pool table flat, and wide with twenty meter in-goal areas.

Seconds: St. Mary's – Chico State
Assigned referee no-show

UC Davis 0 – CALIFORNIA 88 (14) Referee: Joe Leisek
IM Fields, UC Davis

A very gray, chilly day in Davis. Arrived early to watch a bit of Paul Berman's match, visited briefly with Kat Todd-Schwartz and Jackie Finck. Always great to see fellow Pelicans.

Checked in with both teams, thinking about the fact that the two head coaches, Steve Gray and Jack Clark, were Eagle teammates in an international match against Canada in June 1979.

No time for reflection, however, once the game started. Cal romped in a 14-try rout. The visitors displayed a balanced, efficient attack: seven tries in each half, four conversions in the first half and five in the second. Cal's backline did most of the first-half damage, while the second half featured scoring by forwards and backs.

Both sides played many reserve players: Cal did so partially because they had played UBC earlier in the week, and Davis because they were slated to play Stanford the next day. Among many excellent Cal players, two were freshmen: winger Dustin Muhn (three tries) and flanker Tom Rooke (two tries). Muhn's strong, slashing running was impressive, as were Rooke's rumbles through the Aggie defense.

STANFORD 27 (5) – Sacramento State 10 (2) Referee: Pete Smith
Stanford came out like a house on fire and stunned Sac St with 4 tries in the first half to take a 22-0 lead. Sac St was lack luster in the first half and Stanford played the first half almost entirely in the Sac St end. Stanford took advantage of every Sac St mistake with tries from missed tackles out wide. Sac St. stuck with their pick and drive style hoping to wear down Stanford, but by the time Stanford started to show fatigue, it was too late.

Sac St. outscored Stanford 2 tries to 1 in the second half, but it was Stanford who got the bonus point. I must say that the bonus point system does keep the teams playing hard to the bitter end. With little or no time left-Stanford have an electronic field clock- both teams continued to fight for another try and it was Stanford who could have ended the game that played aggressively to score their final try in extra time.

Seconds: Stanford 17 – SACRAMENTO STATE 62 Ref: Smith

Sac St. enacted some measure of revenge in the B side game winning easily 62-17? (I have to check my score card to see if the score is accurate). Sac St. used a handful of their A side to round out their B team and out-played Stanford the entire game. As has been the staple of US rugby for the past 20+ years, JC Students can play for the University team, but not on their A side thus keeping down several players that would otherwise be playing at a higher level. I had heard a rumor of a U23 team forming in the Sac area that might change the opportunities for some of these players.

From a referee perspective, it was an absolute dream day. Aside from great rugby weather, overcast and a cool 60 something degrees with a light breeze played on arguably the best rugby surface around. The teams gave me a great game. I think I had about 20 penalties total on the day between both games; about 5 each in the four halves with the count probably at about 10 total to each team. I didn’t have a scrum in first game in either half for at least 10 minutes. Considering Sac St.’s pick and drive style leading to well over 100 tackle/ruck/mauls, I consider this almost amazing. I attribute it to 3 things. First and foremost, it was good coaching from both teams. These players knew and understood the laws and were determined not to give away penalties. Second, the players listened when things weren’t perfect and by listening to my pointed instruction were able to reverse their undesirable actions allowing me to keep my whistle in my pocket. Lastly, not to blow my own horn, but I was able to use my voice to be proactive in stopping penalties before they happened, was able to play advantage out of a handful of other penalties and worked hard on considering the materiality of any offense thereby managing the offence without using the whistle. There were stretches of continuous play (no penalties, scrums or line-outs) on several occasions between 5-10 minutes.


HUMBOLDT STATE women 20 (3) – Univ Nevada Reno 5 Referee: Mike King
The first match of the day in Arcata started shortly after the scheduled time as the Reno team had just arrived. At the whistle both sides came out hard and dedicated to victory. Humboldt was able to score first and convert, after which Reno came back with its only score of the day. Some excellent loose play and counter-attacking by Humboldt led to another try and a penalty goal before the half. Unfortunately, several players went down with injury for both sides. This hurt Reno far more since it came with no reserves. Although both sides fought hard, the visitors were unable to overcome the first half and allowed another try in the second frame.

Seconds: Humboldt State 10 (1) – UN RENO 15 (3) Ref: King
In an abbreviated, 10-per side match, the Reno ladies were loaned a few subs and attained some redemption. The less experienced Humboldt players, gained valuable game time and played with dedication and drive, almost scoring several more times. Only a few lapses in the defense allowed long breakaway runs for scores by the visitors.

HUMBOLDT STATE 50 (8) – UC Santa Cruz 11 (1) Ref: King
“Torrential” is a good word to describe both the beautiful North Coast rain that marked much of the match and the pounding attack of the home side in loose play. The first score followed one of these attacks, and was converted with ease. The home side succumbed to some complacency and was whistled within the amazing range of the kicker for Santa Cruz. A similar trade of scores, left the Banana Slugs still within range shortly before half. Another try by the Green and Gold spread the gap to 19-6. The deluge of tries continued in the second half, often from driving runs into the teeth of the defense. It was obvious that the visitors were tough and well-coached, but this was just not their day. Final tally 50-11 with UC not giving up and driving all the way to near the HSU try line, only to be finished by a clearing kick after full time had expired. HSU kindly provided the following: a brace of tries each for DuVair and Nelson, with Montgomery, Millett, Tupou and Callagy scoring one each. Leigh kicked 5 of 8 conversions.

Seconds: Humboldt State 5 – UC SANTA CRUZ 7 (officiated by a local supporter who pitied the drenched referee)
In very sloppy conditions with somewhat sloppy handling and some very sparkling moments.

U of San Francisco 7 – SANTA CLARA 52 (8) Referee: Don Pattalock
TJ’s: Injured team representatives

Played on the turf at USF’s soccer field, conversion to a rugby pitch is simply handled with a roll of duct tape!

The SCU program is returning to past form with strong coaching, solid organization and team depth. SCU dominated all phases of this match despite USF’s solid defensive pattern. SCU executed several different LO options as well as running a variety of set plays for the base of the scrums.

Two enjoyable teams to referee.

UC Davis women 15 (2) – CALIFORNIA 17 (3) Referee: Paul Berman
Venue: Russell Field, UC Davis.
Weather: Sunny and clear, wonderful for this time of year.
Comments: The pitch was firm & clearly lined, roped, flagged & goal posts padded.

From this whistler's vantage a game of two halves. Davis taking the bear by the nose ring, scoring a try within the 1st minute of play, straight from the return of kick-off. Aggies agile number 13, outside centre Robin Souza weaved her magical way across the try line in a scintillating opening gambit. A try converted convincingly by her captain Cameron Stewart. 13 minutes later with the Aggies bit between their teeth scoring again through their full-back, number 15, Alicia Ford. In the 38th minute Cal's number 12, inside-centre Irene Gardner broke free with a scything angled run to open her side's account. In the waning seconds of the 1st half Cameron Stewart slotted a penalty goal pulling her teammates 8 points clear at the break.

During the halftime interval the Cal Bears Men's squad, including their coaches arrived in numbers, instantly appearing to lift the resolve of their women's squad.

Proving there is nothing so dangerous as an angry bear, Katie Chou, Berkeley's powerful No. 8 & captain drove almost single handedly to the try line in the 44th minute. This try seemed to inspire her den mates. In the 80th & final minute of play a wonderful text book run down the touch-line try was scored in the corner by Berkeley's impact player/replacement left wing, wearing number 22, Kathy Sprawls (I presume).

A humdinging nail biter, saw the home side Aggies pipped at the post. What a super match!

Point spread: Aggies - 2 tries, 1 conversion goal, 1 penalty goal; Bears - 3 tries, 1 conversion goal

Seconds: UC DAVIS women 12 – California 7 Referee: Jackie Finck
Touch Judge: Paul Berman
Referee Coach: Kat Todd-Schwartz
Weather: approx 65 F, wind=0, 100% cloud cover, 0 precipitation

The second side played a fantastic full game; w/ better skill level in the second half. Both teams were evenly matched during open play. Ironically, so too were their jerseys.

CHICO STATE women 25 (4) – Stanford 5 Referee: Deb Hart
It was cold and starting to rain at 11:00 am when I arrived in Chico and it was more of the same for the rest of the day. But both teams came to play and play they did.

Chico scored first in the third minute passing the ball out wide and bringing it in from about 30 meters. Chico scored another try before Stanford answered with a try of their own, but Chico pressed and scored another two tries before the half.

The second half started quickly as well with Chico scoring five minutes into the second half. Chico completed the scoring with one penalty kick.

This game was intensely played with lots of good, multi-phase play.

One of Stanford's locks, Kira Grecko, broke her leg about half way into the first half. She was taken to Stanford Medical Center. I'm sending her best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Seconds: CHICO STATE 17 – Stanford 0 Ref: Hart
The second side also played in the cold and wet weather, although with shortened half times. The score was 17 Chico, 0 Stanford.

UC SANTA CRUZ women 31 (5) – Sacramento State 5 Referee: Larry Freitas
Referee Coach: Tom Martinez
Played under threatening skies at the Cal Santa Cruz campus, the Slug women powered over the Hornet women of Sacramento State by a score of 31 to 5.

Five first half tries were scored by UC Santa Cruz, with Natalie Jacuzzi scoring one of the tries as she came into the backline between the centers and burst through from just inside the Santa Cruz half to zig and zag to the goal line, leaving the Sacramento backs grasping to tackle.

Meghan Healy orchestrated from her flyhalf position well, usually passing off, and at other times taking the option to kick into space, with the Santa Cruz backs charging down field. The Santa Cruz pack controlled rucks and mauls, winning ball time and time again.

Jacuzzi again scored on another gallop early in the second half, giving the home side a 31-0 advantage. To the State forwards’ credit, they also won a good share of ball, especially in the second half, but didn't threaten until the last quarter of the match, with Lorae Simpson, their scrum half, taking advantage of the weakside on scrums and shortside on rucks to create some moves and long runs into Santa Cruz territory.

Eventually Alexis Viera-Potter scored a try some four minutes into injury time, the final whistle coming after the failed conversion.

I would venture to predict that UC Santa Cruz could do well in the playoffs again this year, with one third of last year's starters gone, but having those positions filled by players who were replacements the last year or two, indicative of the depth of this side.

St. Mary's women 18 – SAN JOSE STATE 20 Referee: Paul Smith
Referee Coach: David Williamson
No report received.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Sacramento State 30 (5) – ST. MARY’S 46 (7) Referee: Jim Crenshaw
Sunday's festivities found the Sacramento State Hornets hosting the St. Mary's Gaels. The rain stopped just before game time and the sun came out for most of the afternoon.

The Gaels scored an unconverted try in the first 2 minutes and a converted try a couple of minutes later. The Hornets came back with an unconverted try a couple of minutes later. The Gaels came right back with another converted try and seemed to be in control. The Hornets weren't giving up, as they scored an unconverted try, a penalty kick and a converted try to take a 20 to 19 lead. The Gaels got back on track and scored 2 converted tries to make the halftime score St Mary's Gaels 33 Sac St. Hornets 20.

Things slowed down a bit in the second half, with the Gaels scoring an unconverted try and then a converted try to take a comfortable lead about half way through the second half. The Hornets still had some fight left in them and managed an unconverted try, but the Gaels kicked a penalty kick at about the 30 minute mark to keep pace. The Hornets scored an unconverted try with a couple of minutes left, but it was not nearly enough as the Gaels won 48 to 30.

Seconds: SACRAMENTO STATE 34 (6) – St. Mary’s 24 (3) Referee: JC Van Staden
Big game! Sac got on the score board in the 10th minute, just to get answered right back with a St. Mary's try. Big tackles, hard scrumming, and fearless rucks and mauls put the stamp on the 1st half. With 2 tries to each they set the table for the second half to be spectacular.

Sac ran onto the field with a change in plan though. After both teams had a final warning for going offside in general play, Sac put St. Mary's on their back foot, with a few up-and-unders behind their line of defense. St. Mary's let the ball bounce 3 times too many and with the luck of the bounce, Sac scored 3 unanswered tries.

Both teams showed very good composure, and 6 out of the 9 tries scored came from advantage.

A ‘thumbs up’ to both coaches, for coaching and prepping these second teams. These guys know what rugby is about.

Stanford 12 – UC DAVIS 44 Referee: Joe Androvich

Seconds: Stanford 0 – UC DAVIS 56 (10) Referee: Sandy Robertson
The UCD 2nd squad had too much pace, size and skill for a fairly inexperienced Stanford side, running in 7 tries in the first half. UCD dominated scrums and stole a number of Stanford's lineouts. They had Stanford on their heels much of the day and so were able to open find plenty of gaps and overlaps


Saturday, February 17:

SF/GOLDEN GATE U 19, 52 – Alameda U 19, 5 Referee: John Coppinger
At Rocca Field on TI. Brilliant day for rugby and SF/GG put on a great display of recycling the ball and support play. Alameda, although overmatched, never quit.

Friday, February 23:

Varsity: ELSIE ALLEN – Montgomery Referee: Matt Eshoo
Evaluator: Peter Watson
Videographer: Bruce Carter
Additional Referee Coach in Tow: Dixon Smith

The Referee Coaching Triumvirate, all with national portfolios, turned out to watch Matt Eshoo at the fabulous Lobodome.

Even the weather cooperated: if you have been to the Lobodome you will know what a difference there is between a one MPH wind coming from the west (the pig farm) versus a complete absence of wind. The pre-match zephyrs stirred no more after Matt’s first whistle.

The Lobos have an announcer who has very much a professional-announcer’s voice. He peppers his observations with audio clips played from his laptop. The forlorn and haunting howl of the Lobo was heard repeatedly as the home XV took advantage of every Montgomery miscue.

Note to future opponents: kicking to the EA deep backs should be considered a miscue.

Coach Allen Petty sees to it that statistics are kept on his team. They are 46 – 1 at the Lobodome, which will be upgraded to an artificial surface marked for rugby after the current season.

Click here: Lobo Rugby

Of note on this evening, DJ Hunt scored four tries to surpass Chris Bergstrom as the all-time leading Lobo points scorer.

JV: EAHS – Montgomery Ref: Eshoo

VACAVILLE 26 – Christian Brothers 24 Referee: Jim Crenshaw
Friday night we had a real barn burner as Vacaville high school hosted Christian Brothers high school under the lights in Vacaville. The first half, Vacaville scored a converted try early and Christian Brothers scored one late to make the score 7 all at halftime.

The second half, Vacaville came out on fire and scored 2 converted tries in the first 10 minutes to take a 21 - 7 lead. C/B was down, but not out, as they scored a converted try about 10 minutes later and scored another at the 30 minute mark to tie it up. A couple of minutes later C/B kicked a penalty kick to take a 3 point lead. They couldn't hold it though, as Vacaville scored an unconverted try with less than 2 minutes left. C/B tried to come back, but Vacaville held on for the win.

JESUIT 60 – Davis 0 Referee: Sam Reagle
Weather: Perfect, Dry

Jesuit completely dominated this game against Davis and showed why they are the defending HS National Champions. Davis played well, but couldn't match the athleticism and speed of the Marauders.

I didn't catch his name, but the Davis fullback was a shining star repeatedly making open field tackles to thwart scoring opportunities. Sometimes Jesuit scored anyway, but his play was nonetheless worthy of note.

BURBANK ISLANDERS 43 (7) – Jesuit Varsity II 3 Referee: Scott Wood
Burbank's strength and speed outmatched Jesuit's tenacity.

BERKELEY RHINOS 32 (6) – Oakland Military Institute 0 Referee: D. Williamson
Enthusiastic East Bay high school players enjoyed Friday afternoon rugby on a full-sized, fully-grassed pitch on Treasure Island. The setting and the field were a real treat for the young players from Berkeley, El Cerrito, Richmond, and Oakland. What a way to end the week!!

There was lots of open-field running by both teams, with Berkeley providing most of the offensive pressure. The Rhinos scored three tries in each half, paced by its captain, #8 Pierre Mays, and #7 Levi Jacobs, who scored two tries each.

In the post-match gathering, everyone noted how much the OMI team, led by fly-half Cody, had improved in only its second year of rugby.

Saturday: February 24:

TRI-VALLEY VIKINGS 24 – Antioch 10 Referee: Barry Sheppard
Report by Giles Wilson:

TV started asleep and spotted Antioch a 10 point lead before deciding to play a little rugby as a team. After that window, the game became much more even with TV working well at lineout and the defensive pattern improved. With that change, TV started to get go forward which they built on eroding the deficit and going into the lead.

A short 10 a-side JV game followed; TV prevailed 4 tries to 1 (no kicks).

Under 15s: Hayward 32 – LAMORINDA 37 Referee: Isaac Caselis
On what was probably the best game of the day, it was an ALL HAYWARD affair. As Kyle Davis, coach of Lamorinda and former Hayward Griffin winger and Olo Fifita, as guest coach for Hayward-because Loma could not pull himself away from the barbeque area. Isaac Caselis also former Hayward player was the referee for the match.

The 15 year old bracket has shown great strides in the grasping of the rules of the game. From kick off, Lamorinda was ready to spin out wide and fast. Great discipline by Hayward showed them bending but not BREAKING. The rucks were highly contested on both sides, with both teams winning their own rucks. Hayward rucks were spent out fast to the player that was willing to run against the grain and finding room to run. Lamorinda backs were up to the challenge by executing great tackles. Support was slow for Hayward and Lamorinda took advantage by running up the middle. The forward pack was very well coached.

Tries by Dominic, Jonathan and Conor for Lamorinda. Tries by Vita, Ben and Mike for Hayward made the score at half time 24-22 in favor Lamorinda.

In the second half both teams were willing to spin it out wide to the speedy backs with a fair amount of success.

The adrenaline-filled scrums were hotly contested with both teams winning their own scrums. The last 10 minutes of the game became a see-saw affair with both teams scoring on their possessions. At the end of forty minutes the score was tied 32-32. The kickoff for the following men’s match had already been pushed back 15 minutes, so we were allowed ten minutes more to play.

Lamorinda with possession from kick off went all hands drill from forwards to backs. They moved the ball to Hayward's 22 with a 40 yard run by Miles with an eventual knock on that gave possession to Hayward. With 1 minute remaining a scrum won by Hayward that led to a heartbreaking knock on by Hayward's backs.

Lamorinda then proceeded to score off of the scrum with the 8 man for the last-whistle victory!

On a personal note Loma is still at the BBQ and Miles (the kid with the 40 yard run) is my nephew-He gets that from me!

Live Oak 7 – DE LA SALLE 54 (10) Referee: John Pohlman
My first game on Saturday saw Live Oak hosting De La Salle in Morgan Hill.

When I arrived around 9:00 AM Live Oak was warming up and DLS was kitting up. The temperature was in the low 50's and the field was in good shape with the necessary barriers.

DLS has two players playing on the under 19 team. Fullback Moupin and Prop Sagehorn. These two lead a very athletic Spartan side.

DLS was too experienced for a young Live Oak team. DLS seemed to finish every opportunity. Usually Moupin led the charge. DLS scored 6 trys in the first half.

Live Oak never gave up. A few substitutions seamed to slow DLS, who scored another 4 trys in the second half.

A Live Oak forward poached a ball and rambled 40 meters for a try.

Then I was off to Monterey for Altos versus Stanislaus

Frosh/soph: DE LA SALLE 26 - Live Oak 12 (2) Referee: Edward Barfels
DLS scored first at about the four minute mark. Live Oak scored about mid way thru the 30 minute half tying the score at 7-7. However, just before the end of the half DLS scored again, but missed the conversion. Half time was 12-7 for DLS.

DLS dominated most of the second half; scoring 2 tries with conversions to take a 26 to 7 lead. With about 8 minutes left in the game Live Oak came out of a ruck and had a 4 on 2, allowing the Live Oak forward to score a final try.

PITS 43 (8) – Alameda 0 Referee: Rob Hendrickson
PITS hosted Alameda for an A side and B side scrimmage on Saturday morning under blustery skies. This was PITS' first game of the year, and Alameda did a better job of containing them in the first half than the second. Both sides tried to get the ball out wide, although PITS had considerably more success at it, and neither side resorted to the kicking game for either offensive or defensive purposes. They meet up again at the end of the HS season for their league game.

SILICON VALLEY 38 (5) – College Park 12 Referee: Chris Fisher

VALLEY CHRISTIAN 15 – Aptos 10 Referee: Chris Fisher

Sunday, February 25:

Varsity: LAMORINDA 23 – Golden Gate 8 Referee: Joe Saccomanno
On a rare Sunday night game, Lamorinda played Golden Gate High School team in Orinda. Lamorinda dominated play and won 23 to 8.

Pre-Game Festivities
Bjorn Stumer, Peter Watson, Bryan Porter and Don Pattalock enjoy the comforts of the Referee Changing Room at the SFGG clubhouse on Treasure Island.


For the Senate
Pelicus Scriptoris