Wednesday, April 23, 2008




Paul Bretz will be refereeing one of the first matches in the 2011 Rugby World Cup on Wednesday, April 23, at 2:30 PM Pacific Daylight Time.

And you can watch it live right here:


San Francisco/Golden Gate has been awarded the 2008 USA Rugby Men’s Club Sevens Championships, to be played August 9/10.

The ‘offseason’ just got a whole lot sweeter!


Those of you who have been on exchange to the East Midlands are welcome to go again. Please put your name forward if you are interested. We also could use an evaluator or referee coach, and spouses/significant others are also invited.

How often do you get a chance to go to Europe on a most-expenses-paid vacation with plenty of rugby and refereeing thrown in as a bonus?


‘NorCal’ teams went 3-1 against the top four from ‘SoCal’ (note Salt Lake City and Las Vegas are not in California). Five of the eight teams involved will advance to the USA playoffs, those five to be determined after another round of games on April 26.

San Mateo 0 - LOS ANGELES 36 Referee: Dave Pope
Touch Judges: John Pohlman, Dave Heath
On a very windy day at San Mateo High School, Los Angeles Rugby club defeated San Mateo 36 to 0. For the first 30 minutes of the game San Mateo did its best to intimidate LA Rugby club. There were some huge hits and some very hard running. LA absorbed it all and managed to dominate field position going into the upfield part of a mostly cross-field wind. San Mateo committed several penalty offenses deep in their own end and LA converted three of them to lead 9 - 0. 10 minutes from half time, the San Mateo #10 picked up a yellow card. In the remainder of the half, LA scored one unconverted try.

The second half I expected San Mateo to begin to run the ball more effectively, but it was not to be. LA continued to absorb the big hits, and applied pressure. In the second half this pressure led to more tries. LA scored 3 tries, two converted and kicked one additional penalty. One of the tries was a maul that LA drove about 10m for the score. The final try was a strange one. LA spun the ball about 10m from the goal line. As the ball was about to be passed to the winger, he started to stumble. When the pass got to him, he was unable to close his arms on the ball. Completely missing his upper body, the ball struck the winger's knee, bouncing forward into goal. The winger went around the last defender and touched it down.

The second half was marred by more cards. San Mateo's #2 received two yellows (thus a red), while LA lost their #11 for 10 minutes. All in all, it was a very impressive performance by LA.

OLYMPIC CLUB 73 – OMBAC 10 Referee: Chris Tucker
Touch Judges: Anna McMahan, Rob Hendrickson
4th Official: Giles Wilson
The sun shone down on Pepsi Field in Hayward where Jim and I were doing back-to-back CR1 matchups. That was the good news on the weather front, the bad news was wind gusting to 30+mph and a chilly temperature. The latter was more of a problem for the crowd than the game itself, but the wind played havoc with the kicking game on both sides, and later with some of the equipment.

From the kickoff it was clear that O Club had come to play, running in 3 quick scores before we had really got started. The OMBAC captain berated his players, pointing out that they weren't even tired. This spoke not so much to the effort of OMBAC -- their hearts and bodies were clearly in the game, but more to the overwhelming superiority of the O Club team. They got quick ball, banged out several phases and spun it wide for the backs to touch down. This pattern continued for much of the match.

That said, OMBAC did get on the board with some good sustained pressure later in the first half, and with confidence somewhat restored they went in search of a bonus point. They added a second try in the second half when O Club were reduced to 14 after repeated encroachment over the offside line from their prop and then down to 13 not long after for the same offence as their flanker showed he was a slow learner. That was all OMBAC could muster, however, and O Club rounded the day off with a couple of tries as time wound down. One particularly noteworthy effort saw the right wing launch himself over the top of the corner cone (flag posts were not provided by Hayward.) Anna helped out mightily by telling me in which order things happened -- in this case the ball was grounded before the cone was skittled and a try was given.

And that was pretty much that. Thanks to TJs Rob and Anna, and to Giles who did sterling service as 4th official. A pizza and a beer awaited for the start of the next match with Crenshaw in charge.

On the sidelines chatting with the OMBAC and O Club guys, we watched the tough encounter between Hayward and Las Vegas. The visitors had apparently lost some of their edge according to OMBAC, and this was clear in their mostly fruitless search for the location of the gain line. The wind eventually got the better of this contest, with the goalposts themselves eventually collapsing. This left the comical sight of two Hayward supporters being instructed to sit as counterweights on the base of the posts for the rest of the game. You see something new every time. Regardless, Jim, Anna and Rob did a fine job! It was good to watch a match for once :)

HAYWARD 15 - Las Vegas 8 Referee: Jim Crenshaw
Touch Judges: Anna McMahan, Rob Hendrickson
We had a real barn burner in Hayward Saturday. Both teams came to play, very physical and lots of big hits. Las Vegas played some great defense, but so did Hayward.

Hayward had a try disallowed for foul play in the first half, but came back a few minutes later with a penalty goal. The wind was blowing almost straight across the pitch making it almost impossible to kick to touch on one side. It was blowing so hard, that the ball would blow away from the mark, if it was put down on the pitch. A couple kicks for touch against the wind traveled at least 20 yards beyond the touch line only to be caught about 20 yards in field. It made passing and fielding kicks a real adventure for all concerned.

One of the Hayward centers earned a trip to the bin for repeated infringement with 5 minutes to go in the half. Las Vegas took advantage of the bin by scoring a try in the corner. Any kick not directly in front of the posts had almost no chance and this one was no exception and missed.

Las Vegas led at half time 5-3.

Hayward came out very hard in the second half and shortly after the sin bin was over, ran in a try from about 30 meters out, taking back the lead. About half way through, Las Vegas had a penalty kick in front of the posts.

It was still tied 8-all with a minute and a half to go, when a Hayward wing intercepted a pass about mid-field and scored under the posts. He had great pace and no one was going to catch him. He had also got Hayward out of big trouble earlier, receiving a pass in goal and outrunning 3 or 4 Las Vegas players to get out to almost mid-field where the Las Vegas fullback was waiting.

Las Vegas tried to come back after Hayward's try and got inside the Hayward 22, but turned it over and Hayward kicked to touch to end it. Final score was 15 to 8.

Great match, but it would really interesting to see these two teams play on a windless day. I think we'd see a lot more scoring.

I'd like to thank Anna McMahan and Rob Hendrickson for running touch and Giles Wilson for assisting as the #4. They all did an excellent job!!

HAGGIS 41 – Belmont Shore 33 Referee: Tony Redmond
For the record, Haggis won 41-33 in a tremendous game – probably the best that I have had the pleasure of officiating in the US (at club level – the U Cal v U British Columbia game was better). Haggis scored 7 tries and Belmont Shore scored 5... Not bad at all.


Three high school conference championships were decided last weekend.

The Skyhawk conference had a formal championship match, whereas for the Sac Valley and Bay conferences it just worked out that way: the last game of the season determined first place.

Sacramento Valley Conference:
MOTHER LODE 31 – Christian Brothers 28 Referee: Jim Crenshaw
We had one of the best high school matches I've seen in a while Friday afternoon.

Christian Brothers was hosting Mother Lode for the Sacramento Valley championship. This was a BIG game for 3 teams in the Valley conference. Christian Brothers was undefeated and Mother Lode had 1 loss going into the match. A win by either team would mean that team would be the Valley champion and the number 1 seed heading into the playoffs. The other story was the fact that a loss by Mother Lode would knock them out of the playoffs and allow Jesuit to join Christian Brothers in the playoffs based on the head to head tiebreaker format.

The game was being played at Granite Regional Park on their new artificial turf. Both teams seem to enjoy the very fast conditions. ML scored first, but CB came right back to tie it at 5 all. The game was hard and fast, with first one side attacking until the defense forced a turnover and then the other would do the same. CB scored again on a penalty kick, but just before the end of the, half ML scored in the corner to make it 10 to 8 at the half.

CB must have had a fire lit under them at halftime, as they scored two quick tries to start the second half, but they were both near the corner, so the conversions were missed. ML scored a try about 20 minutes in and converted to make the score CB 18 ML 17. CB got going again with 2 more unconverted tries to go up by 11.With their supporters, including a large contingent of Jesuit players, cheering them on, CB seemed to be in control and was content to just cruise home with the victory.

Somebody forgot to inform ML that they were beaten, as they scored a converted try with about 2 minutes to go. After the deep kickoff ML kicked the ball back inside the CB 22. CB was under pressure and the ensuing kick by CB found the ML fullback instead of touch. The ML fullback ran through, around and past seemingly all of CB players, well at least 5 or 6 of them, before scoring under the posts. The kick was unnecessary, but was converted anyway, to end a great match. Final score: Mother Lode 31 Christian Brothers 28.

Bay Conference:
Lamorinda 10 – SF/GOLDEN GATE 22 Referee: John Pohlman
Touch Judges: Edward Barfels, Paul Berman
Two of the Northern California and US powerhouse high school teams faced off in their last league game this Friday at 6:00PM at St. Mary's College. Both teams had qualified for the playoffs, but were still keen on playoff seating and pride. Neither team had ever swept the other. GG had beaten Lamo by one point earlier this season.

When I arrived around 5:00pm both teams were warming up. I had the fortune of recruiting two Pelican referees to run touch and control the sideline. Ed Barfels and Paul Berman did a great job of running touch. The sidelines were heated but well controlled with no issues.

Lamo started fast. Both teams are well coached with outstanding athletes. Lamo backs looked a bit more polished. The Lamo backs broke the gainline throughout the game, but failed to finish off tries due the GG cover support.

Lamo captain Bo #10 started the scoring with a penalty two minutes in. Twenty minutes latter the first try of the game was scored by the Lamo backs.

Lamo controlled most of the possession and first half. A GG back intercepted a pass at 30 minutes to score GG's first try.

Half time Lamo 10 GG 7.

At half time I had a word with the GG coach and captain to discuss their teams losing their feet and creeping offside.

There was a pretty strong wind throughout the game. The wind favored GG in the second half. The second half was again very well matched except for a couple of points. Lamo mishandled a couple of opportunities. One of which, allowing a GG player to knock the ball out of the Lamo player in goal breaking up a try.

The GG cover defense ran down some Lamo line breaks by the backs.

And the most obvious GG captain #8 Danny taking over the game. Danny scored three tries in the second half. All of them shedding tacklers along the way. The last two while GG's #7 was in the bin for repeat offenses.

Final score GG 22 Lamo 10. Good luck to both teams in the playoffs.

Skyhawk Conference Championship Match:
East Palo Alto - San Mateo Referee: JC Van Staden
This well-attended and hotly-contested game had to be abandoned thirty seconds from full time when a try by one team put them into the lead and a brawl ensued which was joined by spectators from both sides.

Both teams have been suspended at least for the remainder of the season.

The Skyhawk conference also held a third-place game before this one, which turns out of course to have been for first place. Note the irony at the end of this report.

PENINSULA GREEN 46 – Live Oak 8 Referee: John Pohlman
Touch Judges: Frank Merrill and Hennie Strydon
Peninsula Green hosted Live Oak in the consolation match for the South Bay conference at Woodside High School. This was the opening match with the final between San Mateo and East Palo Alto.

Peninsula Green was too strong for an undersized Live Oak side. PG forwards especially the props were much bigger. It was a testament to former prop and Live Oak’s coach Bart Nielsen that Live Oak won most of their scrums. PG's fullback scored two trys in the first half with some elusive running.

Two of the highlights of the game were watching PG's coach Paul Negus talking to the team at half time. Paul has just recently had back surgery and should have been home in bed. But instead came out to watch and then coach his team getting around with a walker.

The second highlight was running to a line out and seeing my touch judge Frank Merrill on his cell phone. Frank being the ultimate multitasker, he did a fine job TJing and being match commissioner for the many playoff games throughout the Bay area simultaneously.

PG slowed down for the beginning of the second half and LO's fullback scored a try 15 minutes in. But PG scored four unanswered trys in the last ten minutes.

Final Peninsula Green 46 Live Oak 8.

I was a bit disappointed to have leave Woodside High School to go run touch for the D1 playoff game between San Mateo and L.A. The next game looked to be a great one pitting two predominately Polynesian teams, San Mateo versus East Palo Alto. There looked to be well over 100 fans in a very festive mode. It reminded me of the feel at the International San Diego 7's.

Peninsula Green is now the conference champion and Live Oak the runner-up. They will both play on the road since their opponents will have been higher-rated at the end of their respective regular seasons.

NorCal High School Quarterfinals this weekend:

Friday, 7:30 PM at Cardinal Newman:
Santa Rosa - Christian Brothers Referee: John Pohlman

10 AM at Miramonte:
Lamorinda – Peninsula Green Referee: Aruna Ranaweera

Time not known:
Mother Lode – Marin Referee: Joe Androvich

SF/Golden Gate does not have an opponent as we go to press. Live Oak would not be able to travel to the nationals should they win through and so have elected not to participate in the playoffs.


Thursday evening, 7 PM, at Hayward Adult School
D3 Playoff:
MISSION 40 – Vacaville 15 Referee: Joe Androvich
(Score approximate from memory.)

Mission advances to the Pacific Coast playoffs in Fresno this weekend.

SF FOG women 10 – Sandhurst 0 Referee: Phillip Ulibarri
Touch Judges: Bjorn Stumer and Kevin (?) Fog Coach

Day of Sand and FOG!

It was a gorgeous day by the Bay with a light breeze and temperatures in the low 60's. I drove over on Friday night and stayed with the ever gracious Frank and Clarice Merrill, making my Saturday commute to the Treasure Island pitch short and sweet. As I arrived at the old checkpoint I noticed the Sandhurst bus right in front of me. We both pulled over - I thought they were lost, but they were all too keen for the traveling photo op, and why not it was for me and I'm sure for them a most brilliant view of the City. See attached photo. After a quick jog onto the DO NOT TRESPASS dock and a brief conversation with the TI Police Officer who inquired, "What the hell do you think you guys are doing?" Sandhurst's shutters clicked away and SF's finest quickly adjusted his attitude upon hearing the British accents from players, managers and coaches.

Off to the pitch. Sandhurst Women took advantage of the locker room while the men chatted up the group of female netball players outside the clubhouse and before you knew what happened a challenge netball match was on. But back to the game played in heaven...The ground was in great shape but the Fog had to be reminded that the flags needed to be posted before start of the match. During pre-match briefings the ref was made aware that Sandhurst had never played with contested scrums and they had no front row replacements. The Fog offered props should Sandhurst need a substitute. The flags were posted in an expeditious manner and we were set to go - right on time. Sandhurst seemed fitter than the Fog but way less experienced. Some players never touched a ball until their military training began, and even then they don't play more than 6 months together until they move on to other duties.

Play was pretty even into the first quarter, but it was obvious that Fog had played together a while and were a lot more fluid from both loose and set pieces. A yellow card was issued Fog's #6 sixteen minutes into the first half for a late tackle. It was the only blemish on an otherwise good game. Fog's inside center and Sandhurst's scrum half had outstanding games. Fog scored two converted trys in the first stanza, but the game was scoreless in the second half.

Final score 10 - nil to SF Fog Women.

Thanks to Bjorn for calling touch and for greeting the Sandhurst bus with a smile and for letting us all know he was getting the beer on ice! I mean, there are priorities!

SFGG Developmental 0 – ROYAL MILITARY SANDHURST 88 Referee: Tom Zanarini
Referee Coach: Kat Todd-Schwartz
Thanks to Kat Todd-Schwartz for the match evaluation. Not much else to see here. SFGG did put up a fight in the second as the score at the end of the first half was 57-0.

They came close a couple of times but just couldn't finish against the talented and fit Academy.

Fog B – SFSU
Fog A – Marauders
Fog A – SFSU
Fog B – Marauders

(Not sure who reffed or how these went.)

Girls HS selection – Girls HS selection Referee: Rob Hendrickson
I didn't ever really understand what was going on, but it appears that several HS girls’ teams combined (Alameda, Mother Lode, Davis & Humboldt) to create some sort of NorCal team to go along with the Amazons to the high school finals? I reffed the initial blue v green team pairings with 25 minute halves to allow the NorCal v Amazons to have 30 minute halves.

Blue 43 (7) v Green 0, ref Rob Hendrickson
Blue dominated this initial pairing.

Amazons – NorCal girls HS all-stars Referee: Chris Labozzetta
No report received.

USA Women’s Challenge Match

EMERALD CITY MUDHENS 15 - Belmont Shore 10 Referee: Preston Gordon
A 0445 wake-up call had me out of the house and on the way to SFO to catch my early morning flight to Seattle, where I was met by one of the ladies from the local team and driven to the pitch in Redmond, WA. The field was in very good shape, but a little short. Other than the rogue gopher(s) at work, everything looked good.

However, getting to the game 2 hours early meant that I got to inspect the pitch and then get changed while being first rained, then hailed, and finally snowed on (no shelter at Marymoor Park). The sun then filtered through the clouds for a bit before the entire process was repeated (all of this at between 35-45F). However, I had paid close attention to the forecast and was prepared for the weather and cold.

We started on time at high noon, and before too long each side had notched one unconverted try. Sideline support was plentiful and boisterous, and we even captured the attention of many of the people there to watch a lacrosse game on the adjacent field. Both sides were playing a very even and well-contested game, although I had to have a few words with the captains twice to prevent some repeated silly play (offside at the breakdown, players leaving their feet, etc). Some of this stuff was probably due to the wet pitch.

The second half began just as another leading edge of a thundercloud was passing through. There was no lightning, but the temperature dropped about 20 degrees in a minute, it nearly got dark, and 2mm hail was being blown sideways down the long axis of the pitch at about 30mph. Of course, that's when one of the players needed a minute for an injury, so we all stood around freezing in the miserable weather for a little bit while she was attended to.

Once that was out of the way, two more tries were scored. The Mudhens got on the board first in the second half at 44', followed in the 50th minute by Belmont Shore. Neither kick was good, but one did bounce off the uprights (although that may have been the penalty attempt later; I can't recall exactly).

A frenzied contest ensued as each side tried to put the game away, but came up short. There were more than the usual number of knock-ons - again, this was probably because of the wet weather. One ball was held up in in-goal, we spent about 20 minutes camped inside the 22's, but the closest attempt was saved for the penultimate play of regular time, when one of the Belmont Shore backs broke through a couple of tackles and went 30 meters, getting within about a foot of scoring a try before she was finally pulled down by an opponent. The Mudhens recovered, kicked to touch, and that was it at 10-10.

Challenge matches can't end in a draw, so it was a good thing I had asked the match organizer what to do in this case. We played 2 more 10-minute halves (just like the second half, but with no scoring), and then it was time for sudden death. Again there was an even contest, until at 105' the Mudhens were awarded an attacking scrum 5 or 10 meters from their opponents' goal line. One of their players picked up from the base, dodged a tackle, and grounded the ball on the goal line with a couple of opponents hanging on, right at my feet.

A wild celebration ensued after the try was awarded to end the game with the score at 15-10 to the local side. The USA Rugby paperwork was signed, warm/dry clothes were put back on, and after a while we retired to the Kangaroo & Kiwi for the post-match function. In addition to the women's teams, both OPSB and OMBAC showed up after their Super League tie. I was reminded again how small of a world rugby really is when I ran into 2 former teammates from Arizona, one now playing for each of those sides. After absorbing some good refereeing philosophy from Tom Coburn, it was time to head back to the airport for the flight home (which was slightly delayed due to bad weather, of course).

Many thanks to Jon Leehr and Mark Roberts, the PNRFU referees who came out to touch judge on this day of strange weather, and also to Shannon Nielsen, the match commissioner, who (happily) nearly stepped in and ran touch herself. I certainly enjoyed the opportunity to fly up to Seattle and back the same day to be a part of this outstandingly well-contested match.


Paul Cassidy of Edmonton and the Alberta association spent ten days in Northern California and managed to work in a couple of game for us:

Friday April 11th 2008
Lamorinda vs. Scotch College (Perth Australia) – U19 Juniors
Because of the fact that I was still working myself into game shape, I wanted to get to the game in plenty of time to have a good warm-up. I was on a work training course in Fresno, so I cut out early to avoid the rush hour traffic I expected in the San Francisco/Oakland area. Due to my error on an assumed kick-off time and total avoidance of the rush hour, I managed to arrive to the venue 3-1/2 hours early! As it turned out...the Australian team did the same!!

This game marked a couple of firsts for me. First game refereed in 6 months and first game I refereed on “field turf” artificial surface. Fortunately, I did bring the right footwear for the surface so it was not really an issue. We did have to make some adjustments to accommodate the pitch since it was 100 yards long, using the wider touch lines for soccer resulting with incomplete goal lines since the lines did not intersect. As for the game fitness, well let’s just say I was constantly checking my watch to see if it had stopped because I was doing a lot of panting for being only 10 minutes into the match.

I was very impressed with the quality of play from both teams but it really was a game of 2 different halves. In the first half, both teams used their best players and the Lamorinda team dominated in the forwards and their backs showed a lot of grit and determination. For me, there were times when I had to remind myself that these were only Junior players. Most of the tackling was hard and punishing. Lamorinda appeared to be in control of the game by jumping to a 17 – 6 lead but an unconverted late try by Scotch College made the half time score 17 - 11.

When the second half started, I soon realized that there was, essentially, two different teams were on the pitch. The Lamorinda side was obviously not as strong in the forwards but the Scotch College side seemed to maintain a steady balance of skill throughout. Lamorinda scored 2 more tries (one converted) but Scotch College scored 3 tries bringing the score to Lamorinda 29 and Scotch College 28.

Unfortunately, on the last play of the match, a Lamorinda player came screaming offside at a lineout and the Scotch College kicker easily split the uprights to steal the game from the home team. Final Score: Lamorinda 29 Scotch College 31.

I would like to thank all of my California Colleagues who arranged and supported me during this match. Bjorn Stumer for offering me the game and Pete Smith to suffered through the 2 hour traffic gridlock coming from San Jose to run touch for me. Cheers to you both for giving me such a gem of a game.

Finally, I must offer an extra big THANK YOU to Pete and Leah, for their kind hospitality given to me and my wife, Jo-Anne, on the previous Sunday. This is what rugby is all about!

Saturday April 12th 2008
Santa Rosa vs. Golden Gate – Men’s Division 2
Fresh off of my refereeing season debut the night before, I found myself in Santa Rosa (1 hour north of San Francisco) in Sonoma Country. The venue was ‘For Pete’s Sake’ field which is home for the Santa Rosa Rugby Club. With a clear blue sky and a forecast of 86 degrees F (30 degrees C) I was glad they decided to move the kick off up to 11 am.

This game was the last of the season for both teams with no playoff implications but they both played it hard and no quarter was given. Santa Rosa was more organized from the opening and capitalized on Golden Gate’s occasional defensive errors. By the end of the first half, Santa Rosa was ahead by a score of 29 – 10.

Despite being down on the score, Golden Gate did put in a much better effort and held the home team scoreless in the second half. Unfortunately, they only managed to score an unconverted try and a penalty kick to make the final tally Santa Rosa 29 – Golden Gate 18.

With the match over by 12:30pm, my TJ (Ray Schwartz) decided to take me on a little tour of a few vineyards before we ended up at the Santa Rosa Rugby Club’s luau. I was very impressed with the hospitality and entertainment provided. This was a very unique celebration of the game with good food, friends and entertainment. This was truly unforgettable.

I would like to thank, once again, the efforts of Bjorn Stumer and Bruce Carter for arranging this match for me. I must also offer a big Thank You to Ray for showing me the sights and tastes of the Sonoma wine country and extend the same to Kat Todd for taking Jo-Anne on a day tour of Sausalito. Cheers to you all!

Paul Cassidy - Alberta Match Officials’ Association


Sat., 12 Apr 2008

HS Girls League Game: Alameda Riptide RFC 15 vs. Davis Lady Devils RFC 12
Referee: Paul Berman
Venue: Lincoln MS, Alameda, Kick-off 1435; field firm under foot
Weather: Hot & sunny
Comments: Open running rugby! Davis on the back foot for much of the last 25 minutes defended their goal line valiantly.
Point spread: Alameda - 3 tries Davis - 2 tries, 1 conversion goal

Boys JV Game: Alameda Islanders HSB JV RFC 36 vs. Piedmont PITTS FROSH RFC 21
Referee: Paul Berman
Venue: Lincoln MS, Alameda, Kick-off 1625; field firm under foot
Weather: Warm & sunny
Point spread: Alameda - 6 tries, 3 conversion goals Piedmont - 3 tries, 3 conversion goals

Match Report: Sat., 5 Apr 2008

HS Boys League Game: Alameda Islanders RFC 27 vs. Berkeley Rhino RFC 5
Referee: Paul Berman
Venue: Lincoln MS, Alameda, Kick-off 1730; field firm under foot
Weather: Warm & sunny
Comments: Saving the best till last! The finest try of the match was engineered by the Rhino's, fourth phase ball pick & drives down the left wing lead to a superb try. The final score in this hard fought contest.
Point spread: Alameda - 5 tries 1 conversion goal Piedmont - 1 try

SFGG 74 – De La Salle 0 Referee: Chris Labozzetta

JV: SFGG 40 – De La Salle 10 Ref: Labozzetta

At the college playoffs in Albuquerque, the Pelicans flocked just after Pacific Coast society president Dave Pelton presented Grizzly referee pins to Don Pattalock and Aruna Ranaweera.

Standing, L to R: Pete Smith, Don Pattalock, Dave Pelton, Bruce Carter, Joe Androvich

Kneeling, L to R: Scott Wood, Aruna Ranaweera, Eric Rauscher, Dave Williamson, Matt Eason

Present but not pictured: Ed Todd, Mike King


For the Senate
Pelicus Scriptoris